Pope Francis has released his message for the 36th World Youth Day which will be held on 21 November (Solemnity of Christ the King) at the local level on the theme: “Stand up. I appoint you as a witness of what you have seen.” (cf. Acts 26:16)
The Feast of Christ the King has been designated as the day the universal Church will celebrate God’s gift of youth and young adult. It is a day set aside to remind the whole Church the important task of accompanying young people on their journey through life.
It is proposed that parishes, communities of faith and groups of young people set a side time to renew and recommit their apostolate to youth
There are many people who accompany youth and young adults. The new Pastoral Guidelines for the Celebration of World Youth Day in the Particular Churches
aim to enable and empower the celebration of young people in each local Church.
‘These Pastoral Guidelines are intended to encourage the particular Churches to give increasingly more importance to the diocesan celebration of WYD. They are to look on it as a favourable opportunity to be creative in planning and implementing initiatives that show that the Church considers its mission with young people to be “a pastoral priority…’ (Guidelines WYD)
Pope Francis has invited the whole Church to commemorate, celebrate young people annually on Christ the King.
Planning has already begun at an international level for the next World Youth Day in the summer of 2023.
Archdiocese of Dublin has a great reputation for its work in preparing young people who attend and participate at WYD’s.
Since 2019 most of our young adult ministry has been online and only really impacting on a minority of young people. Most of whom were already connected to diocesan initiatives. It is now time to reconnect the digital with the real. (Christus Vivit 90).
It is proposed to relaunch and reconnect with younger people (16-29 year olds) and use the WYD as pathway towards involvement in parish and diocesan gatherings.
Invitation to Parishes
- Invite a young person to attend – in person – a Vigil Mass celebrating Christ The King, Halston Street Parish, Dublin 7, @6pm Saturday 20th November. This liturgy will be planned by former WYD pilgrims and diocesan young adult leaders.
- PPC’s are encouraged to celebrate young people in their parishes on the Solemnity of Christ the King
- Download the Christ The King Powerpoint – Christ the King New Opportunities for Parishes
- View the Webinar on how parishes can start on Christ the King the Road to Lisbon, World Youth Day (Available 8 November)
- Celebrating Christ The King – Celebrating Youth in the local Church – Liturgy Notes and suggestions Parish Liturgical Suggestions to enhance parish celebrations on Christ the King.
- Pope Francis Message for WYD 2021 HERE
- Pastoral Guidelines for Celebrating WYD in the Local Church
- Invitation to Lisbon – Official Video Watch HERE
- Themes for WYD The Themes for the next Three WYD’s 2021-2023
- Date for WYD – 1-6 August 2023 – WYD Date
Watch Dublin Pilgrim Mattie’s Video Testimony from WYD Panama Dublin Diocese Panama Video Testimony